Thursday, August 30, 2012

Ruth's 95th Birthday in Wilmington, N.C.

My Nana (mom's mom) was one of four girls.  The only living sister happens to also be eldest, Ruth.  I haven't met Ruth too many times as she lived in California most of my life.  Now Ruth, her son, Tim and daughter-in-law, Julie live in Wilmington, N.C.  What's special to me about Ruth is a blanket that she made for Grace.  Let me explain...

When I was born, my Nana handmade a blanket for me that I slept with every night.  I slept with that blanket longer than the average person, I'm sure!  It wasn't until later in life when I really appreciated her making that for me.  My Nana passed away in April of 2010.  I became pregnant with Grace in July of 2010.  Obviously, Nana wouldn't be here to make a blanket for Grace and that is when Ruth stepped in.  When Ruth found out I was having a girl, she began making a blanket for Grace, without any knowledge on my part.  Close to the time I was due to have Grace, I received a package in the mail; it was the blanket Ruth made for Grace.  Y'all, I broke down!  How precious and thoughtful of her to do this for Grace and I, especially at her age!!  She said if Nana were here, she would have made one so Ruth wanted to do it for her.  I wanted Ruth to be able to meet Grace so we were honored to be able to go celebrate her 95th birthday in Wilmington, N.C.


Grace found something fun to play with...

It was Tom's birthday as well so he got some gifts!

All of the cousins and their spouses
 
I am thankful we had some extra time to explore Wilmington.  It was mine and Grace's first trip!  Battleship N.C. is a famous "tourist" attraction and fascinating to see in person!

We happened to go downtwon on a Saturday when they have a farmer's market...very fun!

Anytime I visit a new town, I like to find a bakery for some reason.  Grace likes it too...she got to eat a cake pop :)
 
This was our view from the room in the restaurant.

Dad being silly, I'm sure :)

 
Happy birthday to you, 95 times and going strong!

 
We had a wonderful time!!
 


1 comment:

  1. Awesome time was had by all, great folks, glad we were able to be a part of this special weekend.

    ReplyDelete