Monday, February 25, 2013

Letter "H" Week

This week was centered around hats and the Cat in the Hat since Dr. Seuss' birthday is March 2 (even though we were a little early).  Another great thing about this curriculum is you can tie in seasonal themes or holidays/special days as you go.  Gretchen and I met this week to discuss the curriculum and we already made some changes that I think will make the curriculum better.  We will have more meetings as we learn through teaching our little loves!

All books authored by Dr. Seuss!  Some of these were from my childhood and are very old/worn books.  I remember my mom reading some of these to me when I was little :)

"H" is for a hat just like the Cat in the Hat!

"H" snack of the week: Cat in the Hat style (half an Oreo, red life saver and white mint; I was supposed to use the gummies but couldn't find them so I used the hard candies and I ate those while Grace ate the Oreo).

A favorite book from my childhood.  It has a different page for each letter of the alphabet with lots of alliteration. 

"H" is for hats.  I wanted to try this sorting activity (assuming she wouldn't grasp the concept just yet) just for kicks.  

She surprised me and correctly sorted  some of the pictures.

After the two pictures she helped me with, she was much more concerned about the bears sharing the hat.

Which led us to her bedroom where we pulled out her stuffed animals and hats.  She wanted each animal to have a hat (I kind of love how this happened on its own because we were playing and learning together!).

Then we made an H out of hats.

Grace loved this hat which is from her Aunt Cindy.

A random coloring activity.  Gretchen gave me this idea.  Tape a piece of paper to the bottom of a table and let your little learner color on it.  I liked it because it was just something different!

Our new learning wall.  The previous plan for letters, numbers, colors and shapes has turned into this.  We are adding on as we learn about them and will laminate them and turn into a book when finished.  Grace interacts with this MUCH more than the previous display.  All I need to do is get her a pointer :)

"H" is for hands-on!  I learned that you can put a bar of Ivory soap in the microwave for 1.5 or 2 minutes...

and this is what happens!

Talk about clean fun!!  Jimmy did this activity with Grace while I was at work.  Clean up was super easy.  We will be doing this again for "I" week since it was with Ivory soap.





No comments:

Post a Comment